Creamy Fettucine with Ham
Recipe by Chef Michael Rooney
A simple pasta meal that everyone can enjoy. It is a great example of getting great flavor out of a few fresh ingredients and reminds me of simple food from the home. I know little kids who eat this up (sans the peas!) The cream sauce comes together so quickly that you’ll find yourself watching the pasta cook. The sauce is mild with a cooked onion flavor. Follow the recipe the first time, then experiment a bit. For example, try it with a bit of slivered fresh sage over the top and a hint of nutmeg. Enjoy!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
12 ounces fettuccine
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion or 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup 2% milk
8 ounce slice or more 1/2 inch thick Black Forest Ham or any thick ham steak cut into cubes
1/2 cup frozen peas (optional)
1/2 cup or more shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fill a large pot to boil the pasta and get it going.
- Heat the oil in a small saute pan over medium heat, cook the onion until translucent.
- Add the cubed ham, and cook for 2 minutes more. Season with fresh ground pepper.
- Stir in the cream and milk, and keep warm over low heat while the pasta is cooking.
- If using the peas, add them at this point.
- Boil the pasta as directed on the package.
- Drain when al dente and turn the hot, dripping pasta into a serving bowl. Toss with the sauce.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and serve at once with a healthy side of dark leafy greens for a flavorful and satisfying meal.