Roasted Root Vegetables
Recipe by Chef Michael Rooney
Sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and beets are seasoned and roasted to perfection in the oven to bring out their sweet, earthy flavors. Serve with any meat or a great topping for oven baked polenta or cooked pasta .
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
1 (1 lb) bag baby carrots, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
2 cups parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2” slices
2 cups beets, peeled and cut into 1/4” cubes
2 cups cremini mushrooms, quartered
1 large onion cut into 1″ pieces
4 tablespoons or more olive oil, to coat vegetables
3 tablespoons fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
6 large garlic cloves peeled and smashed
1 teaspoon coarse salt
Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and grease a large baking pan lined with foil to make clean up easier!
- Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl until all vegetables are thoroughly coated.
- Spread in an even layer on the greased pan and roast in the oven for 45 minutes (or until the largest vegetables are tender), stirring and turning occasionally
- Remove from the oven once tender and serve as a side with a beef or pork roast.
- Add or substitute other fresh herbs as desired, such as fresh sage or parsley.
- Feel free to alternate other root vegetables, such as eggplant, Yukon potatoes or turnips, if these other ingredients are not available.