Filet Mignon with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: approximately 30-40 minutes
4 cups heavy cream
3 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 (8 ounce) fillets beef tenderloin
1 pinch lemon pepper
1 pinch garlic powder
1 pinch onion powder
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
12 slices thick sliced bacon, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
- Pour heavy cream into a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer until the cream has reduced by half, stirring occasionally, about an hour.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the Gorgonzola cheese and Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, until the cheese has melted.
- Season the beef tenderloin with lemon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Cook the steaks until they start to firm, and are reddish-pink and juicy in the center, 3 to 5 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 130 degrees F (54 degrees C).
- Remove the steaks from the grill and tent with foil to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve each steak with the Gorgonzola sauce and top with crumbled bacon and chopped green onion.
Suggested wine pairings: Cabernet Sauvignon, Meritage, Merlot