Mexican Sonoran Shredded Beef
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: approximately 4 hours
1 four lb beef brisket, trimmed of fat and cut into large cubes
4 cans of beef broth
1 whole head of garlic, crushed
2 onions, coarsely chopped
2 stalks of celery
2 dried Guajillo chilies, broken into pieces
4 jalapeño peppers, sliced
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp oregano
Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Olive oil for frying
- Cut brisket into large chunks. season with salt and pepper
- Add a little olive oil to a large stock pot or baking pan and using medium heat add the brisket and brown.
- Add all of the other ingredients and make sure that the brisket is covered with the beef stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 4 hours.
- Check frequently and make sure brisket is still submerged in liquid. Add liquid as needed.
- After four hours, remove brisket from stock and set on a large baking sheet and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Using two forks shred the meat.
- Now the meat is ready to use in tacos, enchiladas.
Suggested wine pairings: Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir